Sunday, November 18, 2012

Running for My Life

About me......I am a 48 year average American female.  I have worked in the not-for- profit sector for most of my adult life, have been married to the same sweet guy for 23 years and am mom/step mom to 6, mostly grown kids (his, mine and ours).  Those 6 kids have now have me answering to "grandma" as we have been blessed with 4 adorable additions to the extended family.  Life is good, right?

Enter proverbial midlife crisis

Maybe it is the fact that I am approaching 50, maybe it's having someone I gave birth to give birth to someone else, maybe it's global warming (or hot flashes) but I have found myself wanting to shake things up, stretch myself, make some changes.

Enter life changing opportunity.

A couple of months ago I saw some info on my Facebook feed about the Covenant Health - Knoxville Marathon "Biggest Winner" team.  Basically, you submit an application explaining why you want to run the 5K, half or full marathon in April.  If you are selected for the team you commit to:

  • Working out like crazy.
  • Being filmed and photographed while working out like crazy.
  • Working with a great coach, trainers, dietitian, life coach, etc - AND doing what they say.
  • Being an ambassador for the marathon, including having the above mentioned video and photos being used in the media.
  • On April 7, 2013, running the race the coach selects for you.

So, I am sure you can see where this is headed.  Girl has midlife crisis.  Girl applies for and is accepted on marathon team.  Girl works out like crazy and submits to unflattering photos being used via various media. Girl runs race in April and kicks midlife crisis to the curb. So what, might you ask, is the problem?

Girl has never really run - anywhere - EVER.

Seriously, I have been fully committed to NOT RUNNING for 48 YEARS.  When other kids were playing tag outside I was inside reading a book.  I spent 12 years of public school perfecting gym class avoidance techniques - with great success.  I have never been chased by a zombie, I have never been late at the airport.  I have never had reason to run.

Until now.

I am embracing this opportunity to become Kim 2.0 - a better version of me.  I know it won't be easy but this is MY midlife crisis and I am sticking with it. 

There is bound to be some weight loss, some blisters, some really sore legs and a 3rd grade gym class flashback or 2. 

Stay tuned.










1 comment:

  1. Go, Kim! Here's to a best-selling sequel on your first half century!

    ReplyDelete